Monday, Feb. 8, 2016

Assassin’s Creed III case study: How Smart AdServer is being used to launch great mobile rich media campaigns?

Written By:


November 15, 2012


Posted In:

Assassin’s Creed III case study: How Smart AdServer is being used to launch great mobile rich media campaigns?

As shown in our previous infographics (Euro 2012, Olympics 2012, 2011 overview), roughly only 20% of mobile banners were rich media & video banners, the other 80% being standard.

A common way advertisers have jumped on the mobile rich media bandwagon was by completing traditional media plan with mobile and launching cross-platform campaigns.

What is at stake is not only to drag advertisers to mobile spending, but more importantly, have them fully embrace mobile opportunities by specifically redesigning their campaigns, such as YOC.

This is what Biborg, a creative boutique agency, specialized in rich media creation, behind successful recent mobile  rich media campaigns (Dark Knight Rises, Frankenweenie …) does.

In the recent Assassin’s Creed III launch campaign, Smart AdServer “banner+layer” mobile ad unit was set, exploiting user interactions to the maximum.

Depending on the orientation of the iPhone (north, south, east and west), you can watch different videos of Conor, Assassin’s creed hero.

Assassin’s Creed III iPhone Ad (Ubisoft) from Biborg on Vimeo.

On iPad, it’s possible to shoot an arrow within the ad by sliding the ad left to the right.

Assassin’s Creed III iPad Ad (Ubisoft) from Biborg on Vimeo.

We asked François Girardot, cofounder of Biborg, a couple of questions.

What are advertising opportunities specific to mobile?

FG: “Mobile offers lots of new opportunities in advertising. On the one hand, we can explore new user interactions. For example, shaking your mobile opens a layer with the YouTube video with a new display ad “Shake to expand”.

Ghost Recon Future Soldier : mobile campaign from Biborg on Vimeo.

Mobile is a new way to interact, not only click but drag, blow, zoom… On the other hand, there are many things to create and develop with TV and mobile. For example, you can interact with TV spots on your mobile. Xbox is launching Smart Glass, a very interesting app where you can learn more on your mobile about the game you are playing. For example, i am playing Assassin’s Creed III and I can use my smart glass app to view corresponding games, last news on the game, who is playing and more. It is an exciting new playground for advertisers.”

Which technologies do you use to create your mobile ads?

FG: “Regarding the technology, we use a mix of HTML5/CSS3 and MP4 videos. Like we said, Mobile ads are like the far west where everything is to build. It will take time but with passion and hard work we can do something brilliant”.

Which kind of advertisers are the most interested in such mobile operations?

FG: “This type of campaign requires a strong interest for digital from our clients. The aim is not to just add a tv spot, it’s more “How can we make a strong and massive interactive campaign on the internet?”.

Share This Article

Related News

Defining Native Advertising: Let’s Get Our Terms Straight
Mobile and Video and Programmatic! Oh My!
Top 6 Digital Marketing Trends for 2016

About Author


International Community Manager

Leave A Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>